409 Lyons Rd, Five Dock NSW 2137, Australia
Mon-Sat 07:00 AM - 05:00 PM
409 Lyons Rd, Five Dock NSW 2137, Australia
Mon-Sat 07:00 AM - 05:00 PM
Post Image
29 May, 2022
Posted by admin
1 comment

Top 5 Leading Electrical Hazards and How to Avoid Them

Households are using more electricity than ever before due to the number of technological devices that are being used in the home; this means that we are more exposed to electrical hazards, which can cause serious harm like house fires and electrical injuries. Electrical injuries can come from many different sources but generally fall into one of three categories – burns, electric shock, and electrocution. Therefore, it’s important to know what you can do to protect yourself and your home from electrical hazards to avoid these types of accidents or injuries altogether.

Faulty Wiring 

Faulty wiring is one of the leading electrical hazards in the home. Faulty wiring can cause housefires, power surges and other electrical hazards, so it’s crucial that you know the warning signs of faulty wiring. These signs include: 

 

  • Buzzing or flickering lights: If your lights are flickering and dimming, it could be a sign of faulty wiring, especially if they dim/flicker when using multiple appliances. 
  • Hot power outlets: If your power outlets are hot or vibrating, that is another sign of faulty wiring. 
  • Burning smells: If you can smell burning, it is a sign that heat has already damaged your wiring. 

If you notice any of these warning signs or aren’t sure if your wiring is in good shape, don’t hesitate to contact a professional electrician to come out and double-check that everything is working correctly and that there is no immediate danger. 

Overloaded Power Outlets 

Most homes have extension cords and outlets with multiple power appliances and devices being plugged into them. Every power outlet has a specific power load that it can safely handle. If this load is exceeded, it can cause the circuit breaker to trip, which shuts down the power supply. 

If there is no circuit breaker, then overloaded power outlets can become a real fire hazard, as they can become overheated, which can cause the wires to begin to melt and can lead to a fire. 

Signs that your power outlets have become overloaded include: 

  1. Your power outlets making a buzzing noise
  2. Power outlets becoming hot 
  3. Power outlets having a burning smell 
  4. Scorched power outlets

To avoid this fire hazard, make sure you don’t overload your power outlets and switch them off in the event of a storm or when you go away on holiday. 

Old and Damaged Appliances 

Old and damaged appliances are a common electrical hazard, even if they are working normally. Always check your old appliances for frayed or cracked power cords, and replace them if they reach a certain age. 

Phone, tablet and laptop chargers should also be checked regularly as they are used extensively and highly prone to damage. These chargers should be replaced when the cords become damaged to avoid any electrical hazards. 

 

Plugging in/Using Appliances and Devices Near Water Sources 

Appliances, devices and water do not mix and should be kept at a safe distance from each other as water is a good conductor to electricity. However, if an appliance/device does come into contact with water, it is crucial to act quickly and turn off the power source to avoid Electrocution and power shocks. 

The obvious solution to this hazard is to keep appliances and devices a safe distance away from each other. 

Children 

Young children are often exploring and getting into things that they shouldn’t be getting into; this is no exception for electrical appliances and power outlets. Keep children safe by ensuring all electrical appliances in your home have protective covers over their power supplies. 

Stop children from becoming seriously harmed or causing an electrical accident by teaching them never to remove a protective cover or go near electric wires or outlets; make it clear to them that doing so could expose them to deadly voltage levels or electric shocks.

If you notice a problem with your electrical appliances, power outlets, power cords, or light bulbs, do not try to fix the problem yourself, but contact an electrician straight away. At Russo Electrical, we have over 25 years of electrician work experience in Sydney. We pride ourselves on consistently delivering honest and trustworthy advice. If you have an electrical problem, please contact us on 0478 740 546 to find out more. 

 

Leave a Comment

Your email address will not be published.