What is Involved in an Electrical Safety Inspection?
An Electrical Safety Inspection is an official check that is carried out in a home or office to ensure that the electrical wiring and electrical appliances are compliant with Australian safety standards. A professional, licensed electrician should always be the one to carry out an Electrical Safety Inspection. Having regular safety inspections gives you peace of mind that your house or place of business is fire safe.
An Electrical Safety Inspection involves an electrician:
- Checking for old wiring that needs to be replaced
- Testing power points
- Testing smoke alarms
- Inspecting and assessing wiring and circuits
- Examining the meter box
- Checking for exposed wires
- Checking electrical appliances
- Checking for any other potential electrical hazards
Why Do You Need an Electrical Safety Inspection?
Although it’s recommended that most houses and offices get an Electrical Safety Inspection every few years, there are a few main reasons why people decide to get one. These reasons include:
- Moving into a new home: You may need to have an Electrical Safety Inspection because you’re about to move into a new home. Before moving into a new home, it’s important to have a good understanding of any electrical hazards your new residence might have, so you and your family can feel even better about the big move and to ensure the safety of everyone in that house.
- Electrical problems: You may notice that the electricity in your home isn’t working properly. Things like flickering lights and power outages can be warning signs for potential electrical problems that need to be addressed. If your house is old, having old wiring can also be a hazard that needs to be checked, as old wiring is one of the main causes of housefires.
- Old appliances: If your home have had appliances for over 5 years, it’s a good idea to get a professional electrician to come out and inspect them to see if they’re still in good working order and whether or not they pose a threat.
- Selling your house: Having a safety inspection is also recommended before you sell your home, as it can add value to your home and allows the new owner to have peace of mind before moving in.
- Moving into a new office: Just like moving into a new home, getting an Electrical Safety Inspection when moving into a new office is an excellent idea. Having a fire hazard in an office building can be even more dangerous than usual due to the multiple stories to navigate when evacuating and all the people in the building. Knowing that every office in the building has been checked is a huge relief for everyone in that building.
Having regular Electrical Safety Inspections is a smart thing to do as being aware of a fize hazard before the worst happens can save lives, time and money.
If you feel unsure about the safety of your home or appliances, or if you’re moving into a new home or office and want to ensure that there is no fire hazard, please give Russo Electrical a call. At Russo Electrical, we have over 25 years of electrician work experience in Sydney, including Maintenance Services like Safety Inspections. We pride ourselves on consistently delivering honest and trustworthy advice. If you have any queries or concerns, please contact us on 0478 740 546.